Wednesday, February 1, 2012

When did the use of ISBN numbers to identify books begin?

I am listing books on half.com and I wondered when the ISBN system was started because that is how they list the books for sale.





I have some older books that I cannot find the ISBN number.





Thanks.|||I love Half.com! and the ISBN's are a great way to find books easily on so many sites. I hope this is helpful.





The 10 digit ISBN was published in 1970, but since 1 January 2007, ISBN have contained 13 digits.





Now I am thinking about Half.com! ha ha, have a great night.





sincerely, andrew





--------------------------------------鈥?br>




I'm back again, it looks like if you don't have an ISBN that you can also enter the UPC number, I read that from their website, here is the link. http://sell.half.ebay.com/ws/web/HalfSel鈥?/a>





I hope you are able to sell your books on there. If they are really old and don't have a UPC number either, maybe you could sell them on Ebay, or Allibris.|||http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISBN_number鈥?/a>


For stuff like this, Wiki has it right.





The SBN was created in 1966 by Gordon Foster (Trinity College, Dublin), a 9-digit number.





It stands for 'Standard Book Number.'





The ISBN was made from that:





'International Standard Book Number'





...by the International Organization for Standardization in 1970, a 10-digit number... though the UK continued the 9 digits until 1974.





Since 2007, books now have 13 digits.





If you want to read more about it, there IS more, safe link above.


Click on 'Please direct to ISBN at...' and then click on the first one in the list you'll see when you scroll down just a touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment