Friday, January 20, 2012

Do book stores have the right to stop customers from viewing the ISBN for books?

I needed to purchase some text books for college, and I wanted to write the ISBN for each book that I needed so that I can see whether the books were cheaper on line or at the college book store. Unfortunately, the college book store refused to let me see and write the ISBN number. I'm assuming that they are just doing this to prevent me from finding it cheaper and buying it somewhere else. So, I am wondering whether or not we have the right to view the ISBN for books.|||You should be able to look up the ISBNs online. How would the bookstore know that is what you are doing? Why don't they have the books up on the shelves. I also think that there is no legal reason for them to be required to share ISBN numbers with you. Perhaps your teachers would give them to you? At my school the lists of books have ISBNs on them.





Dana (attorney)|||Until you buy the book, it's theirs, and they can decide what to let you do with regard to looking at it.





Richard|||Just search for the title and author. Assume you are going to need the latest edition. Or just ask the professor which books are needed. They might already be posted in the course syllabus online.





BTW, I think your assumption is right, but I have a habit of stopping in college bookstores whenever I am near one, and I have never seen a store that hides the books from view. What school are we talking about? (via email is OK if you don't want to post here)





Edit: I almost forgot, the most frequent use of my phone camera is to photo book covers in stores so I can research the books in more detail to see if I want them later...no pen, no muss, no fuss hint hint.

No comments:

Post a Comment