Friday, January 27, 2012

Does the ISBN number change with each edition of a book?

I have a list of books to buy for back to school. They gave us the ISBN numbers but not the editions. My friend said that the teachers at my school said you have to get the exact right edition #. Does the isbn number change with each edition? I don't want to buy all these, based on an isbn number, then get to school and them say "oh that's the 4th edition, we meant the 7th edition" or something. Help!|||Each revision gets a new ISBN number. So, you can be okay as long as they gave you ISBN #s that you're getting the right edition.





I'm still amazed that with as much internet content out there, schools even require textbooks as much as they do.|||Well, I have both the 11th and 12th editions of young and freedman's UP book infront of me and the ISBN-10's are different.





0321204697 //11th


0321501314 //12th





So, there is certainly no requirement that they be the same, at least.





edit: Re-printings are not new editions and should all have the same ISBN numbering - since they are just printed separately, but they are the same text.|||The ISBN will change with price and with revisions to the text but not with individual printings of the same book.|||nope

No comments:

Post a Comment